An administrative plat must be approved and recorded to:

  • Record the boundary of an existing parcel or tract of land
  • Divide one lot into two
  • Combine any number of lots into two
  • Adjust lot lines between two lots

1. Have a survey prepared by a registered land surveyor
Your surveyor is responsible for preparing a survey that meets both your specifications and all requirements of the Minimum Subdivision Regulations. It must be in 18" x 24" format.

Ask your surveyor what administrative services that he or she provides (such as submitting the survey for review, obtaining certification signatures, preparing easement documents if necessary, and recording the survey). Some surveyors will include these tasks in their standard fee, while others will charge extra. You must determine whether you or your surveyor will be responsible for the necessary administrative tasks, and what the associated costs will be.

2. Submit the survey to MPC for review
Submit four paper copies of the survey, the surveyor’s sheet of closure calculations, and the application fee to the MPC office. The MPC and City Engineering staffs will conduct an administrative review of the plat.

3. Corrections
You or your surveyor must contact the City Engineering Department (215-2148) to obtain their required corrections. The MPC staff will contact your surveyor with any additional corrections that they identify. Your surveyor must make all needed corrections on the reproducible original copy of the survey.

4. Obtain certification signatures
MPC staff will place the proper certification signature blocks on the reproducible original copy (if the surveyor has not already done so).

MPC staff will place the proper certification signature blocks on the reproducible original copy (if the surveyor has not already done so).

The following certification signatures are necessary:

  • Knox County Trustee and City of Knoxville Tax Office
  • Knox County Health Department
  • A notary public
  • The property owner
  • The surveyor
  • MPC Address Department

If multiple lots are being combined, the surveyor must determine which of the following must be signed:

  • easement release
  • certification of no recorded easements

5. Make copies for certification
After you have finished getting all corrections made and certification stamps signed, have one mylar copy made from the reproducible original. Take this mylar copy first to the City Engineering Department (they charge a review fee) for file numbering, and then to the MPC office for further certification. Then, take this mylar copy and have one mylar and five paper copies made.

6. Final certification
Bring all seven copies back to the MPC office for certification. The staff will keep one mylar and two paper copies for recording.

7. Record your survey
Drop off one certified paper copy to the Property Assessor’s office (2nd floor west). Then go to the Register of Deeds office (2nd floor east), where they will charge you a per sheet fee to record the paper copy (with black numbers on the bottom margin).

8. Return City Engineering copy
Take the final mylar copy (with the red file numbers on the bottom) to the City Engineering Department.

9. Keep final paper copy for your records
Keep the last paper copy for your records ­— you will need it to show where the plat is recorded, to obtain building permits, or for your attorney’s use in deed preparation.

Top of page

Quick Facts Table of Contents

MPC Home