Level IV. Demolition or relocation of contributing structureRequest
Proposed demolition of a primary residence and associated outbuilding at 1419 Harvey Street. House dates to approximately 1910, and is noted as a "contributing" resource to the Old North Knoxville National Register Historic District. It is not listed among the "non-contributing" resources in the report prepared to accompany the Old North Knoxville Historic overlay in 1981.Site Info
Folk Victorian / Shotgun
The Old North Knoxville overlay report, dating to 1981, describes the house as a "one-story, shotgun, clapboard siding, wood trim, gable roof, front porch with shed roof." The National Register nomination describes the house as a Folk Victorian from 1905: "one-story frame with aluminum siding. Front gable roof with wood louvered attic vent, asphalt shingle covering. Double-hung three-over-one windows. One-story, two-thirds front porch with shed roof, lattice panels between piers, square wood posts, sawn wood brackets and spindled balustrade. Interior central brick chimney. Brick foundation. Modified by side ell from shotgun plan." These characteristics remain today.
1. The house is a contributing resource to the Old North Knoxville National Register Historic District and local historic overlay. All features noted in the NRHP nomination's architectural description remain today. 2. The front-gable roof, shotgun form of house is a less prevalent style in Old North Knoxville (though visible on Alexander Street, Anderson Avenue, and Harvey Street) but common in neighborhoods which originated for mill workers and other laborers, like Oakwood. 3. The house has suffered from deterioration by neglect. No Certificates of Appropriateness have been issued for any exterior work on the house since the creation of the Old North Knoxville Historic Overlay, other than minor roof repairs in 1993. 4. In early March, staff was notified of exterior work commencing at the property without historic zoning review. City staff visited the property on 3/17 and found the foundation removed, including the porch foundation and flooring. The applicant was informed that they needed to apply for a COA and correct their building permit. After the 3/17 visit from the City, the porch's shed roof was fully removed, and the foundation received further excavation and wood supports. The foundation has been open to the elements to the present day. 5. The nearby concrete block garage was constructed in the early 1990s and does not contribute to the property or neighborhood. 6. The shed-roof section on the southeast elevation was a later addition, not shown on the 1917 Sanborn map, but it retains historic Craftsman-style windows and is most likely a historic addition. The shed-roof addition on the house may be more significantly deteriorated than the original shotgun house, due to the slope of the ground and the addition resting directly on the ground. 7. While the applicant has provided photographs showing rot in sections of the floor joists, especially on the shed-roof addition which rests on the grade, there is not sufficient information to prove that the house is structurally deteriorated to warrant demolition. Moreover, while the house does exhibit a modest form and details in comparison to high-style houses in ONK, the house does retain architectural integrity characteristic of a shotgun house. In the opinon of staff, architectural integrity could still be reestablished in the house.